Company: Combat Survival, Inc.
Tape Name: Combat Survival, Volumes 1 & 2
Tape Cost: $79.95
Length of Tape/Time: 3+ hours
Number of Moves/Techniques: 37 (roughly 20 from each volume)
Experiences in dealing with this company: Excellent
The Instructor: Moni Aizik
Company's Address: P.O Box 54074, 500 Lawrence Avenue. West, Toronto, Ontario, M6A 3B7, CANADA
Company's Phone Number: 1-800-408-9218
Primary Grading Criteria:
1. Production/Tape Quality: 80
2. Instructors demonstrated skill level: 80
3. Comprehension Score/Immediate Understanding: 80
4. Degree to which this will make someone a better Martial Artist: 80
5. Score on delivery vs hype: 80
6. Degree to which we would recommend this product: 80
7. Wasted Time ( The higher the number,the less " fluff" /repetition ): 80
8. Playback Score/Watching it over-and-over again: 80
9. Would I purchase more of this company's products: 80
10. Overall grade based on cost vs. value: 80
Grand Total: 80% (Very Good)
Secondary Grading Criteria:
1. Beginners benefit: Very Good
2. Intermediate benefit: Very Good
3. Advanced benefit: Very Good
4. Time to benefit: Months, possibly a few years (to acquire high level of speed)
5. The need to buy additional tapes to understand this one: None
This DVD set by Moni Aizik is the first I’ve seen covering any type of Israeli fighting arts. What stood out right away was this guy’s athleticism. An internet search showed Mr. Aizik to be in his fifties (not old by any means), but he is built like a granite mountain! As an aging martial artist, I was impressed. It’s also very apparent that his skills haven’t lost a step either.
Both volumes 1 & 2 follow a similar format of defense techniques, with volume 2 building on and adding more difficult techniques from volume 1.
The basic formats covered are: Choke / Strangle Escapes, Strike defense, Break Falls, Ground Survival, Knife Defense, and Gun Disarming. Volume 1 adds a few pressure points and Volume 2 covers some counters to front kicks.
These techniques are explained by Moni Aizik in great detail, but simplified so that even a beginning martial artist should be able to follow without any difficulty. He speaks clearly and understandably, which is sometimes rare with foreign instructors. Also, following each technique is a very brief review of the main points to help reinforce your learning.
If I had anything negative to say about this DVD set, it would be the beginning of each volume. They made a “mini” movie showing Mr. Aizik defending himself in a bar and a warehouse against mafia-type thugs using the techniques from both volumes. Great idea, but the acting had something to be desired and the lighting was almost non-existent, which made it difficult to see at times. The content, though, of these DVDs could stand alone as one remarkable set!
Review by: DC