Company: Paladin Press
Tape Name: Taekwondo Forms and their Combat Applications
Tape Cost: $29.95
Length of Tape/Time: 45 minutes
Number of Moves/Techniques: ?
Return Policy: Refund on damaged or defective tapes only
Experiences in dealing with this company: These guys are great
The Instructor: L.A. Grasso
Company's Address: P.O. Box 1307, Boulder, CO., 80306
Company's Phone Number: 1-800-392-2400
Web Page: http://www.paladin-press.com
E-Mail: sales@paladin-press.com


Main Grading Criteria

Production/Tape Quality: 8
Instructors demonstrated skill level: 9
Comprehension Score: 9
Degree to which this will make someone a better Martial Artist: 8
Score on delivery vs hype: 8
Wasted Time (The higher the number, the less " fluff "): 10
Playback Score/Watching it over-and-over again): 10
Would I purchase more of this company's products: 9
Overall grade based on cost vs value: 9

Grand Total: 90 %


Secondary Grading Criteria

Beginners: Good
Intermediate: Good
Advanced: Good
Time to benefit: ?
The need to buy additional tapes to understand this one: None


Written Summary:

To me, this video was a lot different than its title. Based on the title, one might expect to see a step-by-step explanation of the "combat", or street applications, of each move, in various TKD forms. Although there was some of that shown, it was a VERY minor amount. Mr. Grasso only showed the street application on 2-4 movements, from each form. Out of 12 different forms shown, with each form having 20-40 movements, (let's take 30 movements per form as an average), that's 360 moves total in 12 different forms. I'd estimate Mr. Grasso only shows about 36 "combat applications", and that number doesn't come anywhere close to the roughly 360 movements shown. Heck it only covers about 10%. So to say, or even imply, that this video would give a person an accurate feel for all the various "street applications", of each movement, in each form, would be in my opinion overstating, or exaggerating, this videos contents.

Although this video doesn't fully live up to its name, it can benefit TKD enthusiasts who are looking for the following:

1. Some information about TKD which covers: definition, origin, Korea, General Choi, ITF, WTF, Olympics, etc.

2. Display of kicks: Mr. Grasso, various black belts, and what appears to be his students, give an excellent display of different aerial/jumping kicks.

3. Board Breaking demonstrations: showing the power of TKD's kicks and punches.

4. Performance Pointers: a few pointers are given on the proper execution of forms

5. A demonstration of each of the following 12 traditional TKD forms, done exclusively by Mr. Grasso, a 7th Degree TKD black belt, and an explanation of each forms meaning:

a. Chon Ji
b. Tan Gun
c. Toe San
d. Won Hyo
e. Yul Kok
f. Ti Gye
g. Hwa Rang
h. Chung Mu
i. Chung Gwen
j. Kwang Gye
k. Po Un
l. Kae Beck

Don't let the score on this video fool you. It really is a good video. It got a 90% because it doesn't come anywhere close to fully covering what the title implies. In my opinion, a better title for this video, which would more accurately describe what's on it, and the value it contains, would be "The First 12 Traditional Forms of TKD". Now if it was titled that, this video would've scored in the high 90's. It covers that VERY WELL. I just don't feel you can say something covers the "combat applications" of TKD forms, only show 10% of that (36 moves out of roughly 360), and expect people to naturally pick up on the other 90%.

Still, if you're a TKD enthusiast looking for an inexpensive video that shows each of the first 12 ITF forms (traditional TKD), up to and including 3rd Black, for $29.95 you can't go wrong! If you're looking for that, this video would be an excellent choice.


Click here to go to reviews 201-300



© 1997-2016 Martial Arts Video Reviews. All Rights Reserved.